Pages

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Planes (to be continued)

What to do on a beautiful day, when we only have half a day free before picking up Grandma and Grandpa H at the airport? We went to my favorite, Oerlikon Saturday market, for picnic supplies then hiked a few miles around the end of the airport runways. We had lunch at the viewing lot with planes coming in right over our heads. Everyone liked the biggest planes best, but the girls thought the private jet was "cute" and that Edelweiss had the prettiest planes.



It's kind of hard to judge how long a hike and lunch will take, and it matters when the bus only comes every half hour and there is a plane to meet. But this worked out perfectly. We were lucky to have beautiful, cool, breezy weather and easy roads. I found out about this hike while looking for stroller friendly hikes via the barrier free wheelchair friendly hikes list on wanderland. Usually those hikes don't look especially exciting, but I might take another look now.

 S wants to catch the bus!

Here are the inevitable market photos, but at the end this time, so as not to be boring. It is peony season here!

 I have to find out what variety this is and plant it!



Tied with eggplant for the prettiest vegetable I don't want to eat.

S waits, maybe too patiently

 If we weren't on our way to the airport I would have gotten these to try. White asparagus is the obsession here, but I am so curious about these. Look how tiny they are compared to the lemons! 

We had a syrup like this (but homemade! elderberry flavor) when we visited E's colleague and liked it very much. Guess which flavor we bought.

3 comments:

  1. My guess is rhubarb. I thought you liked artichokes? I've never seen such beautiful ones.The trip to the hot baths looked terrifying to me-too much like being in a cave . Is L going to write about her trip? Love ,Me XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the rhubarb, but we might get another flavor to bring home, too. Artichoke hearts are okay in a salad, and I would try a fried artichoke, but I don't like artichoke leaves dipped in butter and scraped. If you don't eat it that way lots of the artichoke seems to go to waste, and that bothers me.

      Delete
  2. PS T looks like "Mr. Cosmopolitan" in his jacket and sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete