Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Bern market



Today I wasn't feeling especially motivated to leave the house, and T really wanted to stay home, too. But I think I will regret it if I stay home much, so we went to Bern to see the Christmas market. In particular, I wanted to find a doll maker I had read about and I wanted to track down the nougat man once and for all. The market was not so good. There were two sections. One was like a flea market with all commercial things in it, there was almost no food, and it was small and cramped. The other section in front of the cathedral was even smaller and had a couple dozen vendors with handmade things. So, if you ever have to choose between Bern market and Basel there is no comparison at all. Go to Basel.

Behind the cathedral is the cathedral platform, a big plaza looking down on the river. It is really a great space. There are tons of benches, a few playground toys, a bocce court, a ping pong table, and a nice view. I especially like it because it looks down on some terraced gardens. Squeezing vegetable gardens into small urban or other hard to use spaces seems like a very cool and very Swiss thing to do. Here there were even greenhouses.

The gardens to the left and the right.


The platform





 Here is something that bothered me a little.. I saw the sign on the left first and I wondered why it was in English. It seemed kind of rude to assume that English speakers were the rock throwers. Then I calmed down and thought, well, maybe it is because English is so widely understood and they really wanted to get the word out. BUT then I saw the second sign in German warning againt jumping from the wall. That would have more of an effect than a rock falling, but they didn't even include an illustration. So much for getting the word out. I guess if those rock throwing Americans become wracked with guilt they are on their own. The picture at left shows the elevator from the platform down to the low houses. I imagine the people living there more often think of it as the elevator up to the platform.


 We use our raincover on the stroller all the time now. Its greenhouse effect keeps the kids warm and it blocks the wind. It was several degrees below zero today - somewhere in the 20s - and I didn't hear a single complaint. It's wonderful because L won't keep on her mittens or hat. I was wearing gloves and her hands felt quite a bit warmer than mine.


The best thing about the Bern market was this cute drinks stand. Also, the Bern market souvenir mugs are the best I have seen at any market because they are stackable. I wonder why they aren't all made that way?  I found the doll maker. No one mention it to L until her birthday! I think the nougat man is just a dream I had. I will always know he came into my life for one day, offered the most delicious nougat I'll ever have, I bought way too little and now he has disappeared forever. S loved the nougat, too. I gave it to her for safekeeping. I glimpsed it the other day. S says she hasn't been eating it, but she should. If I can trust her, then nougat must have a very short half life.


The littles lost all patience long enough before dark that I didn't consider staying to see the lights. I would have liked to see this building with all the Christmas trees on the windows lit, though! I was tempted to stay despite the tantrums, but we are going to Strasbourg this weekend and I think I can count on that to be pretty gorgeous. I also bought a ski helmet today, so the trip was definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment